CASE STUDY: POLICIES, STRATEGIES AND RESPONSES TO PLAGIARISM IN SLOVAKIA
The European project “Impact of Policies for Plagiarism in Higher Education Across Europe“ has identified best practices and gaps related to plagiarism in different European countries. Slovakia is one of interesting ones, where national repository for plagiarism detection was established. However, there are still gaps in terms of policies and overall understanding of plagiarism. This case study describes what happened in Slovakia in last few years, compares the situation with other European countries and discusses the results. Additionally, the number of occurrences of the terms “plagiarism” and “academic integrity” in media and on the Internet is examined in relation to recent changes.
- Borg, E. (2009) 'Local Plagiarisms', Assessment and Evaluation of Higher Education, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 415-426.
- Bretag, T., Mahmud, S. (2009) 'Self-plagiarism or appropriate textual re-use?', Journal of Academic Ethics, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 193-205.
- Carroll, J. (2007). Plagiarism as a Threat to Learning: An Educational Response. Joughin, G.: Assessment, learning and judgement in higher education. ISBN: 978-1-4020-8904-6
- Foltýnek, T. (2013) Plagiarism policies in Slovakia. Report. [Online] Available at: http://ippheae.eu/images/results/2013_12_pdf/D2-3-26%20SK%20IPPHEAE%20MENDELU%20Survey%20SlovakiaNarrative%20FINAL.pdf [12 Mar 2014]
- iEDU (2012). Časové rady. [Online] Available at: http://www.uips.sk/statistiky/casove-rady. [15 Dec 2012].
- Králiková, R. (2009) Zavádzanie pravidiel akademickej etiky na slovenských vysokých školách. Slovak governance institute. [Online] Available at: http://www.governance.sk/assets/files/publikacie/akademicka_etika.pdf [12 Mar 2014]
- Kravjar J. (2013) The Occurrence of the Terms akademická etika and akademická integrita in Texts on the Internet and in the Media. [Online] Available at: https://www.vedatechnika.sk/Blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=89 [12 Mar 2014]
- Kravjar J., Noge J. (2013) Strategies and responses to plagiarism in Slovakia. PLAGIARISM ACROSS EUROPE AND BEYOND - Conference Proceedings, pp. 201-215 [Online] Available at: http://ippheae.pefka.mendelu.cz/files/proceedings.pdf [12 Mar 2014]
- Kročitý P., Argaláš M. (2010) 10-ročné skúsenosti s bojom proti plagiátorstvu na Vysokej škole manažmentu v Trenčíne. [Online] Available at: http://www.apvv.sk/buxus/docs/aktuality/konferencia-etika/konferencia-20100414-krocity-argalas.pdf. [21 Jan 2013].
- Leask, B., Carroll, J. (2011) 'Moving beyond 'wishing and hoping': internationalisation and student experiences of inclusion and engagement', Higher education research & development, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 647-659. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07294360.2011.598454
- McCabe, D.L. (2005) 'Cheating amongst college students: A North American Perspective', International Journal for Academic Integrity, vol. 1, no. 1. Available at: http://ojs.ml.unisa.edu.au/index.php/IJEI/article/viewFile/14/9 [26 Mar 12].
- Ministry of Education (2012) Annual report on the state of higher education in Slovakia in 2012. [Online] Available at http://www.minedu.sk/data/att/5183.zip [15 Sep 2013]
- Pecorari, D., Shaw, D., (2012) 'Types of student Intertextuality and Faculty attitudes', Journal of Second Language Writing, vol. 21, pp. 149–164.
- Skalka J., Drlík M., Grman J., Vozár L. (2009). Záverečné práce a plagiátorstvo. [Online] Available at: http://www.fem.uniag.sk/uninfos2009/sites/sk.uninfos2009/files/skalka.pdf. [24 Jan 2013].
- Skalka J., Drlík M., Vozár L. (2009) Korene plagiátorstva. [Online] Available at: http://www.fem.uniag.sk/sit2009/zbornik/13_skalka.pdf. [24 Jan 2013].
- Slovak rectors‘ conference (2006a) Stanovisko pléna SRK k plagiátorstvu. [Online] Available at: http://old.srk.sk/zaznam/90/Stanovisko-plena-SRK-k-plagiatorstvu/. [21 Jan 2013].
- Slovak rectors‘ conference (2006b). Etický kódex zamestnancov vysokých škôl. [Online] Available at: http://old.srk.sk/zaznam/89/Eticky-kodex-zamestnancov-vysokych-sk %C3 %B4l/. [21 Jan 2013].
- Staroňová K. (2010) Plagiátorstvo. [Online] Available at: http://www.governance.sk/index.php?id=1731. [24 Jan 2013].
- Supuka J. (2008) Akademická etika a plagiátorstvo. [Online] Available at: http://www.polnohospodar.sk/kategorie-spravodajstva/24-ponohospodar-1252/476-akademicka-etika-a-plagiatorstvo. [21 Jan 2013].
- Weber-Wulff, D., Wohnsdorf, G. (2006) 'Strategies for handling plagiarism', Information-Wissenschaft und Praxis, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 90-98.
- www.indexmundi.com (2012). Internet users. [Online] Available at: http://www.indexmundi.com/slovakia/internet-users.html. [21 Jan 2013].
Authors declare with this manuscript intended for publication to ERIES Journal that:
- all co-authors agree with the publication of the manuscript even after amendments arising from peer review;
- all co-authors agree with the posting of the full text of this work on the web page of ERIES Journal and to the inclusion of references in databases accessible on the internet;
- no results of other researchers were used in the submitted manuscript without their consent, proper citation, or acknowledgement of their cooperation or material provided;
- the results (or any part of them) used in the manuscript have not been sent for publication to any other journal nor have they already been published (or if so, that the relevant works are cited in this manuscript);
- submission of the manuscript for publication was completed in accordance with the publishing regulations pertaining to place of work;
- experiments performed comply with current laws and written consent of the Scientific Ethics Committee / National Animal Care Authority (as is mentioned in the manuscript submitted);
- grant holders confirm that they have been informed of the submitted manuscript and they agree to its publication.
Authors retain copyright and grant ERIES Journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the published work with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in ERIES Journal. Moreover, authors are able to post the published work in an institutional repository with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in ERIES Journal. In addition, authors are permitted and encouraged to post the published work online (e.g. institutional repositories or on their website) as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.