MACROECONOMIC IMPACT OF EXPENDITURES ON HIGHER EDUCATION: REGIONAL INPUT-OUTPUT ANALYSIS
This paper deals with the regional input-output analysis and its application to evaluation of the macro-economic impact of expenditures on higher education. Regional input-output tables represent newly developed tool which can be used for the assessment of the regional economic impact of the particular industry and its institutions. The regional input-output tables were experimentally constructed by the Department of Economic Statistics at the University of Economics for all 14 Czech regions. Employing them, we can demonstrate the impact of expenditures on higher education on the macro-economic indicators and employment. This paper deals with 1 billion Czech crowns expenditures on higher education sent by the Ministry to the hypothetical higher education institution. Finally, the impact of higher education expenditures is compared with the impact of expenditures to another industries (ICT, R&D and tourism).
- Blackwell, M., Cobb, S. and Weinberg, D. (2002) ‘The economic impact of educational institutions: Issues and methodology’ Economic Development Quarterly, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 88-95. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0891242402016001009
- European Union (2013) European System of Accounts ESA 2010, Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union.
- Eurostat (1996) European System of Accounts ESA 1995, Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union.
- Fischer, J. and Finardi, S. (2010) ‘Czech tertiary education on the way to competitiveness’, Proceedings of the International Conference Interdisciplinary Information Management Talks. Linz, pp. 231–236.
- Fischer, J., Kramulová, J. and Vltavská, K. (2016) Cestovní ruch v ČR: makroekonomické dopady, marketingové plány, efektivita marketingových výdajů [Tourism in the Czech Republic: macroeconomic impacts, marketing plans, efficiency of marketing expenditures]. [Comprehensive research report]
- Fischer, J. and Vltavská, K. (2017) Analýza efektivity veřejných výdajů na výzkum a vývoj na národní i regionální úrovni [Analysis of the effectiveness of R&D public expenditures at the national and regional level]. [Comprehensive research report]
- Fischer, J. and Vltavská, K. (2012) ‘Intermediate Consumption of ICT Products and Its Impact on Economy of the Czech Industries‘, Proceedings of the International Conference Interdisciplinary Information Management Talks. Prague, pp. 115–121.
- Fischer, J. and Vltavská, K. (2016a) ‘Regional Impact of HEI’s Closedown: Methods of Quantification Using RIOT‘, Proceedings of the International Conference Efficiency and Responsibility in Education. Prague, pp. 134-140.
- Fischer, J. and Vltavská, K. (2016b) ‘Regional Input-Output Tables as a Data Source for ICT Economic Impact Analysis‘, Proceedings of the International Conference Interdisciplinary Information Management Talks. Linz, pp. 29-36.
- Hronová, S., Fischer, J., Hindls, R., Sixta, J. (2009) National Accounts (As a Tool for Describing the Global Economy), Prague: C. H. Beck.
- Luger, M., Koo, J., Perry, J. and Billings, S. (2001) The Economic Impact of the UNC System on the State of North Carolina, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Mazouch, P. (2013) ‘The University Graduation Rate: Trends and Levels’, Proceedings of the International Days of Statistics and Economics. Prague, pp. 977–983.
- Mazouch, P. and Fischer, J. (2011) Human capital, Prague: C.H. Beck.
- OECD (2003) ICT and Economic Growth, OECD, Paris.
- Růžička, P., Harnych, J., Spitz, J., Klicpera, J., Pelcl, L., Filipovský, J., Potočka, Z., Šafr, K., Vojáček, O., Sobotka, L. and Smejkal, T. (2013) Ekonomická analýza environmentálně energetické legislativy a regulativy ve vztahu ke konkurenceschopnosti českého průmyslu s doporučením pro další postup, [Online], Available: www.socialnidialog.cz/images/stories/Analyzy/Analyza_Enviro.pdf [1 Dec 2017]
- Sixta, J. (2017) ‘Input-Output Approach to Regional Employment’, Statistika, Vol. 97, No. 1, pp. 5-17.
- Sixta, J. and Fischer, J. (2015) ‘Regional Input-Output Models: Assessment of the Impact of Investment in Infrastructure on the Regional Economy’, Proceedings of the Mathematical Methods in economics. Plzeň, pp. 719-724.
- Sixta, J. and Vltavská, K. (2016) ‘Regional Input-Output Tables: Practical Aspects of its Compilation for the Regions of the Czech Republic’, Ekonomický časopis, Vol. 64, No. 1, pp. 56-69.
- Vltavská, K. and Fischer, J. (2015) ‘When the ministry closes a public HEI: expected impacts on economy’, Proceedings of the International Conference Efficiency and Responsibility in Education. Prague, pp. 604-610.
- Zbranek, J. and Sixta, J. (2013) ‘Posibilities of Time Innput-Output Tables’, Proceedings of Mathematical Methods in Economics. Jihlava, pp. 1046-1051
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors declare with this manuscript intended for publication to ERIES Journal that:
- all co-authors agree with the publication of the manuscript even after amendments arising from peer review;
- all co-authors agree with the posting of the full text of this work on the web page of ERIES Journal and to the inclusion of references in databases accessible on the internet;
- no results of other researchers were used in the submitted manuscript without their consent, proper citation, or acknowledgement of their cooperation or material provided;
- the results (or any part of them) used in the manuscript have not been sent for publication to any other journal nor have they already been published (or if so, that the relevant works are cited in this manuscript);
- submission of the manuscript for publication was completed in accordance with the publishing regulations pertaining to place of work;
- experiments performed comply with current laws and written consent of the Scientific Ethics Committee / National Animal Care Authority (as is mentioned in the manuscript submitted);
- grant holders confirm that they have been informed of the submitted manuscript and they agree to its publication.
Authors retain copyright and grant ERIES Journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the published work with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in ERIES Journal. Moreover, authors are able to post the published work in an institutional repository with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in ERIES Journal. In addition, authors are permitted and encouraged to post the published work online (e.g. institutional repositories or on their website) as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.