IS IT POSSIBLE TO ESTIMATE LABOUR PRODUCTIVITY IN THE CZECH HIGHER EDUCATION?
This paper deals with the issues of estimation of labour productivity in the Czech higher education institutions (HEIs) and also at the Faculties of Economics of the Czech HEIs. We focus on the period between the years 2006 and 2010. At first, we analyze the influence of labour productivity on the level of average wages of academic staff in 2010. In this case, we consider that the labour productivity consist of two parts – teaching productivity (the total number of students adjusted by the coefficient of economical difficulty per academic staff) and research productivity (the total number of publication points per academic staff). Secondly, we compare the changes between teaching productivity in the period between the years 2006 and 2010 and the changes between average wages adjusted of average inflation rate at the level of HEIs and at the level of the Faculties of Economics.
- Callan, P. (2007) ‘Good Policy, Good Practice. Improving Outcomes and Productivity in Higher Education: A Guide for Policymakers’. A Joint Report from The National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education and The National Center for Higher Education Management Systems. http://www.highereducation.org/reports/Policy_Practice/GPGP.pdf.
- Fischer, J., Vltavská, K. (2011) ‘Labour Productivity and Labour Costs at Public Higher Education Institutions: An Empirical View on a Period 2004-2009‘, Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Efficiency and Responsibility in Education (ERIE 2011), Prague, pp. 75-83.
- Gates, S., Stone, A. (1997) ‘Understanding Productivity in Higher Education‘,[Online], Available: http://www.ucop.edu/acadinit/mastplan/ProjectH.pdf [4 Apr 2012]
- Hindls, R., Hronová, S., Seger, J. (2004) Statistika pro ekonomy, Praha: Professional publishing.
- Hužvár, M., Rigová, Z. (2012) ‘Efficiency of Performance of Higher Education Institutions‘, Proceedings of the 15th Aplication of Mathematics and Statistics in Economy, Liberec, in print.
- Jablonský, J. (2011) ‘Models for Efficiency Evaluation in Education‘, Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Efficiency and Responsibility in Education (ERIE 2011), Prague, pp. 110-119
- Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (MŠMT), (2006) ‘Financing of Public Higher Education Institutions 2006‘. http://www.msmt.cz/Files/vysokeskoly/financovaniVS/Rozpocet_VS_2006_Souhrn_tabulek_1-6.xls [4 Apr 2012]
- Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (MŠMT), (2010) ‘Financing of Public Higher Education Institutions 2010‘. http://www.msmt.cz/uploads/soubory/vysoke_skoly/Rozpis_rozpoctu_VS_2010_po_zvyseni_o_800_mil._12_2_10.xls [4 Apr 2012]
- Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (MŠMT) (2008a) Statistical Yearbook of Education – Employees and Labour Costs 2006/2007.
- Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (MŠMT) (2008b) Statistical Yearbook of Education – Performance Indicators 2006/2007.
- Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (MŠMT) (2012a) Statistical Yearbook of Education – Employees and Labour Costs 2010/2011.
- Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (MŠMT) (2012b) Statistical Yearbook of Education – Performance Indicators 2010/2011.
- Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (MŠMT), (2012c) ‘The Law on Higher Education Institutions‘. http://www.msmt.cz/file/22282 [7 Oct 2012]
- Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (MŠMT), (2012d) The Principles and Rules of Funding of HEIs The Principles and Rules of Funding of HEIs (in Czech only), Praha. [Online], Available: http://www.msmt.cz/ekonomika-skolstvi/zasady-a-pravidla-financovani-verejnych-vysokych-skol-pro [4 Apr 2012]
- Office for National Statistics (ONS), (2005) ‘Atkinson Review: Final Report. Measurement of Government Output and Productivity for the National Accounts‘.
- Research, Development and Innovation Council (RVVI), (2011) Methodology of Evaluation of Research Institutions Results and of Evaluation of Finished Programmes 2011 (in Czech only), Praha. [Online], Available: http://www.vyzkum.cz/FrontClanek.aspx?idsekce=608098 [4 Apr 2012]
- Simpson, H. (2006) ‘Productivity in Public Services‘, Journal of Economic Surveys, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 250-276. [Online], Available: http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/CMPO/workingpapers/wp164.pdf [4 Apr 2012]
Authors declare with this manuscript intended for publication to ERIES Journal that:
- all co-authors agree with the publication of the manuscript even after amendments arising from peer review;
- all co-authors agree with the posting of the full text of this work on the web page of ERIES Journal and to the inclusion of references in databases accessible on the internet;
- no results of other researchers were used in the submitted manuscript without their consent, proper citation, or acknowledgement of their cooperation or material provided;
- the results (or any part of them) used in the manuscript have not been sent for publication to any other journal nor have they already been published (or if so, that the relevant works are cited in this manuscript);
- submission of the manuscript for publication was completed in accordance with the publishing regulations pertaining to place of work;
- experiments performed comply with current laws and written consent of the Scientific Ethics Committee / National Animal Care Authority (as is mentioned in the manuscript submitted);
- grant holders confirm that they have been informed of the submitted manuscript and they agree to its publication.
Authors retain copyright and grant ERIES Journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the published work with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in ERIES Journal. Moreover, authors are able to post the published work in an institutional repository with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in ERIES Journal. In addition, authors are permitted and encouraged to post the published work online (e.g. institutional repositories or on their website) as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.